Wednesday, April 30, 2008

MommeeeeeEEEE, Jace is awaaaaaAAke!!

Under any other circumstances, hearing Lincoln tell me that Jace is awake would be okay. Maybe a little annoying (like if I'd just barely put him down), but okay. However, this morning at 4:24 a.m. (uh-huh, somehow those blaring alarm clock numbers are seared into my brain at such an obscene hour), it wasn't exactly the wake-up call I was expecting.

You see, Lincoln and Jace don't even sleep in the same room. Jace was initially in our master closet in his pak-n-play, then he moved to the closet in the guest bedroom across the hall from us. We called him 'Harry Potter baby' for sleeping in the closet, but it was the only way not to hear all his cute little noises at night. He has now graduated to the guest bedroom, still in his pak-n-play. Oh, he has a perfectly good crib in his bedroom (which he shares with Linc-a-stink), but we're not ready to surrender him to Lincoln's erratic sleeping patterns.

So Lincoln being in the guest bedroom yelling that Jace is awake at 4:24 a.m. means a few things: 1) The child-proof door knob cover on his door is apparently NOT Lincoln-proof, 2) The duct tape used to keep said door knob cover actually intact on the knob is not helping, and 3) It's still going to be a while before Jace can sleep in his own crib. Poor kid.



After my eyes popped open and Gavin informed me that Lincoln was awake (you think?!?), I walked across the hall into the guest bedroom, turned off the light (sorry your big brother blinded you, baby Jace), and gently took Lincoln by the hand back to his own bed. I grabbed my pillow and an extra blanket, and layed down on his floor. I can only assume Lincoln went to sleep quickly because I sure did--hard floor and all.

In my experience, eliminating napping is definitely the most difficult child-rearing transition. I'd take toilet-training any day over the song and dance I have to do to keep an exhausted child awake in the late afternoon. On occasion, it is simply beyond my capacity as a parent, and it is then that Lincoln sneaks in a little shut-eye (as seen on the side bar). And, oh, do I pay for it at bedtime later!! Otherwise, I'm successful keeping him awake (albeit ornery), and he's asleep as soon as his head hits the pillow--only to wake up at 4 a.m? No thanks. It's a lose-lose situation.

When restful sleep does finally return to my life, I'm not sure my body will know what to do with it.

15 comments:

The Jones Family said...

Oh Girl I hear you! I haven't had a full nights sleep in 5 years. Caleb (who is now 4) didn't start sleeping through the night until he was 3 1/2. He did the every 2-3 hours until then...AHHHHH! Love the tape duct tape idea! :)

April said...

For the who wakes up first thing, I always try the very evolved, "give mom five minutes..." Heck, it's called a snooze button on the alarm, it just so happens that our alarms have bodies!!! Good luck with finding a place for Linc and Jace!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm still working on one kid. I can't imagine how much sleep I'll be getting when I have three?:)(or as Drew would have it, six) Good luck getting some rest, and until you get a good nights sleep hopefully you can catch a nap.

Marie said...

hehehehe the closet that is funny havent tried that one. Poor harry potter baby. Wish you luck on the sleep!! Sleep is just a distant memory in my past!!

Jennifer said...

Katie and Dara were / are Harry Potter babies. Kate was two before she graduated to a real bedroom:-) Link-a-stick that is so endearing.

PS we got a note from Kajir this morning on our cubscout blog. I think he's mad at me for bad mouthing him yesterday!

Marie said...

ok so i totally love your playlist on your blog:)Eye of the tiger.... I was so tempted to throw on a benie and run to the top of my stairs, but i had to stop myself for fear of being made fun of by my husband:)

Jamie C. said...

I love reading your blog sara. I always miss so much then have to catch way up because I don't have you on my blog list...can I ajust dd you already? :)
I haven't met Kijar, but I think I met his brother or something. Funny post!
I hope the sleep thing works out. We have the same nap issue over here. Gabs hasn't napped for 6 months and it's like sleep deprivation is finally hitting her now. SHe's a bear if she doesn't get one, and up until 10 if she does. Right now I'd rather have a bear, 10 is just not going to work for me...my nights are to precious! I need children in BED! Good luck!

Fisher Family said...

Sarah your blog cracks me up. I also love your playlist. You are one witty woman.

The Rowletts said...

Girl, I know we like our sleep!!Very frustrating isn't it? Carter likes to wake up at 4 am raring to go for the day occasionally. Hope you catch some zzzzs soon. Hey....try having Lincoln write in his journal, I think it's in his genes to doze off quickly while doing that.

Amanda said...

Hey Sarah,
I found you too. Wow I can't believe your family. Your little baby is so adorable. But they always are before they are big enough to get into trouble. Sure you can check ours out anytime, not a problem.

T.A.T.I Crew said...

Easily one of your funniest posts yet. Well done, Sis.

Additionally, I don't know who "The Rowletts" are but they seem to have you pegged.

"Try having Lincoln write in his journal . . ."

Classic. I laughed out loud.

Grandma said...

So Funny!!! thank you for making me feel so connected.......I love it!!!

The Seaquist Family said...

Ok, that made me think back to our days in Hawaii when the boys were little (both under 2). Derek was so sleep deprived from OB-GYN and I was so tired from playing musical beds all night long. You never knew where you would find me sleeping, but whereever I was I was for sure sleeping. I love it that you were asleep on the floor. You crack me up! Love the blog.

April Cobb said...

They say duct tape can fix anything. But maybe it isn't the door knob that needs it. Maybe you should put some across Lincoln's mouth and tape his wrists to his bed frame. Wait! Did I just say that? Oops. And is duct tape on the door knob against any sort of fire code? I don't know. But locks on the outside of the door are a MUST. Forget the baby proof handle. Go to Lowes and get a new locking door knob and make sure he stays in. Mama needs her sleep.

Cathy said...

Here here! We are still fighting the nap battle. Most nights Chad is on Emma's floor. You are a good Mom to gently take Lincoln by the hand. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to be gentle at that hour!