Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Spring has sprung

At least it sprang on Saturday, then kept on springing away to warmer climates--apparently. (Sorry, dad, if that grammar is wrong--spring/sprang/sprung like sing/sang/sung???) Anyway, a record breaker for the Seattle area as the warmest April 12th EVER. You better believe we got out of the house to enjoy it. 

There is a great little park nearby on the shores of American Lake. The kids love it, and so do I. As is true with almost all parks, the playground equipment is hardly the attraction (my kids would rather find poisonous berries and make potions, or play chase and run laps around said equipment). At this particular park on this particular gorgeous day, the highlight was wading in the lake and building a canal in the dirt. We had fun, and the weather made us even more anxious for Spring to come for good.

My dream boy. I'd have many more if I knew they'd be like him.

Lincoln is thinking, "What am I doing on this slide when I should be over there in the dirt?" It didn't take him long to join his sister.

This pic is proof that she started out clean and dry.

Great canal, huh? Aubrey was pretty much the self-appointed project manager for this one.

This is what happens when Mommy leaves Jace to go take pictures of the big kids. Yes, he really was eating the dirt. No, I don't think he's a Pica kid.

Lincoln was afraid to go near the water at the beginning, but he obviously got over it. And what a great smile!!

She said to me, "Mommy, it feels good to dunk my head under." I'd say she got a little more than just her head.
 
Really, does everything have to go in his mouth? He is probably wishing this were a real popsicle.

My favorite talk from General Conference was by Elder M. Russell Ballard. I knew I needed to listen up when he started out with a mother's hindsight:

"The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make .  . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less."

How true is that? I am thankful that on this stunning, quasi-Spring day, I was able to "treasure the doing."

13 comments:

Heather said...

How fun!!! I'm loving that canal Aubrey built! :) O.K. Sarah I thought you were going to get that cute little boy of yours some new green socks??? ;)
Also I wish I had Aubrey's legs!! The good old days....

P.S. I loved that talk that Elder Ballard gave!! the tears just came back...

Jamie C. said...

What a fun day. Great pictures of your kids in action. I love the sun! It makes everything all better! And your little Jace is a dream boy! Such a sweet little guy!

Marie said...

your blog page is SO cute!! I am so glad that your in the bloging world!! Woo HOoo for Bloging!!

Stacey B. said...

I found your comment on my blog (thank you by the way) and then I found you!! Your blog is super cute. Where did you find the cute border? I am so sick of the templates offered by blogger. Tell me your tricks.

April said...

your family is so super cute. I hope we can catch up with you before they get too old. Maybe a trip to the Pacific NW??? There's always Houston if you get bored with the rain/drizzle/overcast and need hot/humid!!!! Miss you S.

T.A.T.I Crew said...

GREAT pictures, Sis. What a beautiful place to have access to.

I also loved the quote. It's certainly fitting considering my latest blogging moods.

Send my love to the family. I'm proud of you; you're a great mom.

April Cobb said...

That dirty picture of Aubrey is a classic. I would save that and show it to her every time she complains when her own kids make a mess. What a hoot!

The Seaquist Family said...

Classic. I love the "after" pictures. Looks like you've got quite the boss on your hands. I'd love to know where you were...I need a fun place like that for my boys. And the eating the sand/dirt...I can totally relate. That is exactly what mine did when we lived in Hawaii - so gross. What a fun day.

Fisher Family said...

Sara you are such a good writer. You must be a reader ;). Love the descriptions and pictures of all the kiddos. I definitely can see Aubrey as a project manager in her future too. She is a go getter for sure. Lincoln's sweet smile and Jace's great disposition. Way to treasure the moment. Sand, water, and all.

sixlayerdip said...

Great Spring Day! I love that beach at the lake. Too bad the following Saturday it snowed off and on all day huh?

Cathy said...

I love your play-by-play of the day, you'll remember it for a long time. I love your writing! Elder Ballard's talk really touched me and definitely rang home!

Lynn said...

Our girls will get along very very well judging from the pic of Aubrey soaking wet. I love it when I hear look mom I'm a mermaid and turn around to Avery neck deep in the ocean - fully clothed. We'd better get to Wa before the bad weather hits again :)

Barb said...

Hi SARAH, you awesome little mother. You are doing everything right. You go girl! BARB