Today is my dad's 63rd birthday. Growing up, it was tradition to give him Keebler's fudge graham cookies, a case of apple beer or ginger ale, a package of combs, or some socks. I don't know exactly why each of those things were included, but he always acted so surprised as if they were the best presents ever.
In return, of course, my dad gave each of us so much more. I remember daddy/daughter dates waaaay back to the time when I had to take four or five steps to every one of his as we made our way across the parking lot at the hardware store (no Home Depot or Lowe's in those days). We'd finish off the afternoon with a trip to Baskin Robbin's, and I thought I was the luckiest girl alive.
As I got older, the dates became more sophisticated. My dad took me to see 'Singin' in the Rain' on Broadway in New York City. Just the two of us. I remember him stopping on a certain street corner and making me pay close attention the street names, telling me that if anything at all happened to separate us, this particular corner was where I was supposed to meet him. I remember my dad chuckling as I gripped his hand even tighter at the idea of getting lost in such a big city.
My dad always made me feel special. And he always showed us how much my mom meant to him. In my parent's house, there is a small plaque which reads, "The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother." My dad takes that to heart. On my last trip home, I saw little post it notes all around their home. One in the kitchen said, "Reason 242. I love the way you read until you fall asleep." These are little random love notes my dad has left for my mom in various spots of their house. Each time I saw one, it made me smile. And it made me think of that little plaque.
I always knew our family was a priority in my dad's life. During my junior year of high school, I had a singular experience that I will never forget.
It was Homecoming spirit week, and for whatever reason, my car was out of commission. Being the man that he is, my dad offered to let me drive his car for the week. His car was a 1966 Mustang, beautifully restored by him. Classic Mustangs have a serial number indicating their original color, interior, etc., Mustang enthusiasts like my dad can research this number and restore the car to its original glory.
My dad loo-oved this car. He had spent several years working on it during his spare time. Letting me drive it for the single-most significant week of the year was a pretty big deal. It also turned out to be a pretty big mistake.
The crisp fall weather was perfect for putting the top down. I thought I was so cool. The first mishap was backing into a school bus while parking at a school soccer game. Remember, this is a convertible. And I hit a BUS. Damage was minimal, but damage nonetheless.
Next came a speeding ticket (I think). Then scraping the front bumper on the garage wall. Then a flat tire. Are you kidding? All in one week. And my dad still let me drive the car. And I still thought I was super cool.
The final pivotal moment was after the Powder Puff football game. I had arrived late (not me!!) and was parked at the end of a row, illegally. But it's a high school parking lot--who really parks in the lines, anyway? When the game was over and I returned to the car with my friends, my heart dropped to my stomach.
Someone across the aisle had backed into my dad's car, crunching the back end above the wheel well. His once pristine Mustang was clearly damaged. I was heart-broken. I had been completely at fault with the other incidents, and I was at fault with this one too because I had parked illegally. And of course whoever hit it drove off, so there was no recourse.
That evening, I was in my room writing in my journal. I was so sad. The week had started triumphantly with me driving my dad's awesome car and enjoying every minute. Little by little and piece by piece--mostly through my carelessness--it had all fallen apart. As I was thinking of all of this, there was a knock on my bedroom door.
My dad came in and asked how I was doing. And I told him. I was miserable. I was sorry. I was disappointed in myself. I was crying. I knew how much his car meant to him and how much he trusted me to drive it that week, and I knew I had totally let him down.
My dad listened thoughtfully, and then turned it around. He told me that the car was only a car, and cars come and go. I, however, was his daughter. I was his forever. I mattered to him, not the car. He promised me it would all work out, it would be okay. I cried some more, thanked him, we hugged, and said good night.
Talk about a life lesson. My dad's car still has those scars--it has never been fixed. But, thanks to my dad's wisdom and love, I don't have any scars from that perfect-turned-pathetic week of my life. I am restored as his Mustang was--well and whole. I learned the importance of people, not things. And the value of forgiveness.
Happy Birthday, Dad! Thank you for the memories & magic, the love & laughter, and for your example of what it means to cherish a child.

And, uh, next time I'm in town--do you think I could borrow your BMW? (BAAAAAAH! Hahahahahaha!)

14 comments:
You forgot about the shaving cream!!! Sarah, you always are so thoughtful. I am sure mom will show this to dad (I don't know if he checks our blogs on his own).
By the way, dad's next plan is to restore the mustang again. So someday in the nearer future than before, it will be restored to former glory.
Wow, Sarah I want to be like your Dad! What an amazing parent!!!!
What a sweet tribute to your dad. I had a 69 mustang in high school...only i never backed it into a bus :) Your dad must be incredibly understanding...I would have been ticked!!!:)
So you use excedrin illicitly :) I think I am going to try the Cliff Shot blocks with caffeine. Thanks for the tips.
Your blog was a wonderful birthday present for your dad! As a parent, the best gift we can receive is to have good children.
Your story reminded me how lucky I am to have great parents AND wonderful parents-in-law. I am so blessed. Fun story, took me back when my dad taught me how to drive a stick shift. It was a nightmare, but a funny memory. I'll have to blog that one day.
What a sweet story and what a great dad you have. I will have to remember the lesson learned as my kids get older. Things will always just be things!!
Very sweet post. Kiely and Lance have that kind of relationship and I know it means a lot to her. I feel your pain about the candy. I dont buy any until right before Halloween to avoid temptation.
Ahhh, I love your posts Sarah! They are just so sweet.
cry cry cry... Seriously i want to be that mom someday since i never grew up having a dad. I think it makes all the difference.
i love the spirit you have... you probably are just like your dad!!
That is the sweetest thing I have ever heard. I have stories about cars and my dumb mistakes too. And my dad was so quick to say it was okay. That was so nice. Thanks. now can you do the same with Aubrey? I can't wait to find out.
Excellent post, Sarah. Thanks for sharing it. I hope one day I can demonstrate half that patience with my girls.
Ok, so I am crying, I want to call my own dad, and I am so grateful for the relationship Elise and Tyler are already developing. It is the selflessness of a parent that is the greatest gift of love they could give to their child. The lesson is the greatest. People are forever! You are such an awesome person because you have awesome parents. Happy birthday to Sarah's dad!
Excuse me while I go get a tissue. What a great story. It reminded me of a similar experience I had. I was crying in my room after one of my car accidents when I was 17, yes, I had two...or three...can't remember. Anyway, my dad had the same response as yours (only I got the info through my mom since my dad isn't so big on sharing his feelings). It still meant a lot though. I'll never forget that feeling. Thanks for the post.
yikes, i did some similar destruction, but it was only a honda civic. which i ended up buying later.
are you sure you want this story published for posterity? i mean of course it's a great story and memories to cherish, but do you want your kids to have this kind of dirt on you? :)
"a package of combs" ...heehee
Post a Comment