Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Great Pumpkin

The trick-or-treaters last year
As you know, I have a love/hate relationship with all things sugary. Halloween is like a nightmare and a dream come true all in one. Yummmmm--all that candy! And, all that candy? Yikes! 
So I was thrilled last year to learn about the Great Pumpkin (known hereafter as GP). After Halloween, the GP exchanges candy for presents. We told the kids about the GP a few days before Halloween, then woke up to see his note and these baggies on the front door the day after the big sugar-fest.
Click on pic to read the GP's letter
The kids were so excited to sort through their goodies and pick out their faves. They kept whatever they could fit into the baggies, then left the rest for GP to pick up the next night. When GP returned, he took the candy and left some simple gifts. 
As luck would have it, a local restaurant was accepting donations for care packages to be sent to Iraq. Being the patriotic GP that he was, he donated the candy to the troops. Everybody wins.
After Halloween, Aubrey asked her friends if they too had received visits from the Great Pumpkin. She talked about him everywhere we went. Most hadn't heard of the GP, so I had to explain. Parents and kids all seemed to like the idea.
I think the GP will make a return visit this year. I hear he's looking to expand his route, and might drop by your place too--you never know!
 

5 comments:

Millers! said...

WHAT A FABULOUS IDEA!

Grandma said...

Great idea!! How do you find places to donate? I would love to get the extra out of the house!!

Jennifer said...

The candy fairy comes to our home. The kids love talking her up as the mortal enemy of the tooth fairy. I love getting rid of the candy a few days later.

The cool family! said...

What an AWESOME idea!!!!!!!!!! Although... unfortunetely for me I LOVE candy as much as the kids do. Hmmm, we might have to impliment this 'Great Pumpkin' next year!!

Lynn said...

Wonderful idea. Much better than letting your kids eat all the candy they want in hopes that they will be so sick of it they won't touch another piece for a whole year. that one never works.