Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm too sexy for my highlights

I dyed my hair. After many-a-stroll through the hair color aisles at Target and Wal-Mart, I finally did it. My previous blonde was a little bleached-out, and I'm getting too old to pull it off anyway. My natural dingy brown color isn't a good option either, and I wanted something fun and new.

I was scared to do it, however, because I've seen many DIY efforts go very wrong. A friend in college (you know who you are, Honky Tonk) once made several desperate trips to Smith's in Provo for box after box of color to fix the mess she got herself into. She figured it out--sort of--and she's super cute now, so it all worked out eventually.

Fortunately for me, one trip was all it took. It isn't perfect, but I like it.

Thank you Revlon, I think my $2.44 was well-spent. 

16 comments:

Lynn said...

I don't know who Honky Tonk is but had we gone to college together I could be her. In fact I got shivers just reading your first couple lines.

Luckily it looks like it turned out well for you - the trick is to only DIY darker, and leave the lightening to the pros. In fact I was thinking about going a little darker myself today. Must be because winters setting in and the sun can't be counted on to catch our highlights!

ps - i think you look good blonde too.

Anonymous said...

This is a two-dollar do-it-youselfer? NO WAY! I hope you're lying . . . if you're not, don't tell me. Better yet, don't tell my husband, who still loves telling people how much of his money I've blown on DIY color fiascoes. Oh yes, they continued to plague me well after college until I just stopped dying altogether! :)

Honeycombs said...

Your hair looks fantastic. I really like the color and you look great in your glasses. BEAUTIFUL!

Barb said...

Love your color. I've got an appointment for Monday for my color, but I'm expecting to pay around $50....wanna go into business?

sixlayerdip said...

Very nice Sarah!

Leah said...

You look great. Love the color. I don't think you have ever gone this color before. It seems kindof reddish? You know how I am about red.

Stacey B. said...

I have to say that you always look cute and your new color is no exception. I think it looks beautiful. Great job! I just dyed my mom's hair two weeks ago and I was so nervous but she ended up loving it. Whew!

Jennifer said...

I can't wait to see it in person! Looks fantastic and perfect for the cooler months. I'm jealous, but I have dyed mine several times in salon and at home and it always looks aweful. Too chicken to try again...

Alexis said...

The picture is great! I still love the color. Something different is always nice...especially as the rain and clouds set in!

Fisher Family said...

love it sarah...I think I need a new color too.

April said...

Hot Babe! I love the darker "low light" style for the winter months! Way to go. BTW - I've done nothing with my mess of hair.

Millers! said...

Cute, love the hair!!! will hopefully see it in person if my kids quite getting sick!

Cathy said...

Well done, Sarah! I've had major mess-ups with box color. I have to had it to you on a job well done! It looks great on you.

Anonymous said...

love it!

Amy J said...

Wow - you are brave and looking great!

Amy J

Tami said...

When I was in 8th grade I used some old dye I found at my grandparent's house after they died. It was suppose to turn red, but instead it went fusia. Not too cute. Luckily I was young enough my mom paid to fix it-professionaly. You look good. BTW-I hope the candy thing is going well. I think of you every time I give in-which is a lot.