Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hannah Montana the Turkey

Several of my friends have craftsy blogs in addition to their regular family blogs. The craft blog is a show-and-tell of sorts for all things cute and clever. It's fun to read about my friends' talents and creations, and I imagine their fellow crafters love sharing ideas.

I, for obvious reasons, do not have a craftsy blog. That trait is apparently not genetic, or my mom would have surely passed it on. She has tried desperately over the years to teach me the arts of domesticity. It hasn't stuck, folks. 

So when Aubrey came home from school with a plain turkey body that we had to 'disguise,' I knew we were in for it. The attached note said something like, "I'm Tom Turkey and I'm as scared as can be. Dress me up as someone else so you won't eat me." And there was a perky little conclusion to parents, "Enjoy some family time with this fun project!!" Puh-lease!

The spaghetti hair was Aubrey's first idea, and these are her words:

Hannah Montana turkey you get the best of both worlds. Woo hoo. I love Hannah Montana, that's why my turkey is Hannah Montana. Some other turkeys were Army Man, Sleeping Beauty, Spongebob, Tinkerbell, Spy, there's one more, I'm thinking of, ummm, I wanna say there's a clown. Hold on, hold on. Clown.

12 comments:

Millers! said...

That cracks me up! soo funny... Hannah Montana, I just dont get it!Yeah my mom sometimes pretends I am not related to her since I dont like to sew and baking doesnt come natural to me... oh well, that is why there are bakeries. LOL!

Jenn said...

I'm glad to see she's posing with all of her feathers on! Great work! I can't imagine having a girl and doing the whole Hannah Montana scene. Our turkey dressed in chain mail.

Heather said...

I saw those turkeys hanging on the walls at Chloe! My girls LOVED the Hannah Montana! Great job Aubrey!

Gords said...

Sarah, the crafty gene apparently skipped your generation and went right to your offspring with Aubrey--proof positive with her Hannah Montana turkey--genius!!
Love from Mrs. Cathi Gridley

Lynn said...

Best of both worlds! Funny. That's a pretty good little turkey there.

I know you give your mom credit for a lot of your house decor but I think you have done a fabulous job in all things domestic.

Avery wants to know why Hannah Montana is fat. Here goes a probably long conversation about turkeys, crafts, school etc....

Grandma said...

I loved the turkey. Sarah, you have ALWAYS thought outside the box (remember the bowtie?) Aubrey gets it naturally!!!

Anonymous said...

This is hysterical! Glad to know my friends get to live through Hannah Montana fever with their daughters, too! I'm not complaining at all, mind you--she's heaps better than the pop queens of my day (think Madonna). I'm so glad that these days we have squeaky clean singers for the young 'uns to listen to!

The Seaquist Family said...

I hated that turkey project! Fun family time my eye. I think the teacher should try one of these projects with their even so (NOT) eager first grader! And oh even more pathetic are the parents who OBVIOUSLY do the project for their child. I love it that I don't get art project to do home anymore. Not a fav or mine! I spend plenty of time doing activites with my children, I don't need the school telling me to do more! Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Hannah Montana looks great. Guess she got the crafty gene. ANd good for you for not being "crafty". Miss you!

Jennifer said...

This is by far my favorite project that they do in first grade and maybe any grade. I need to take a trip to their hall to check out all those "non"turkeys!

Wilde ones said...

I'm right with you on those "family projects" they send home. I just make Maya do most of the work - if she needs help I'll help, but the project is hers. I already did school - don't need anymore projects than I've already got.

April said...

That's the best turkey I've ever seen. Can't wait to show Elise tomorrow. She'll love it!!

Crazy Herb Girl said...

Hey, Abby and I got a good laugh with turkey. Where did you get that guitar? I gave you an award on my blog so take a look! About the book, (five people) just hang onto it. We'll eventually visit Kent's family and we'll be down to see all our friends!