We love Disney. And we especially love when they offer awesome military deals. When Aubrey was 18 months old, we took advantage of one such deal and drove from Maryland to Florida for 5 days at DisneyWorld. When we found out Disney was offering a similar promotion again, we wanted to make it happen. Then when I found screamin-killer-deal airfare on Southwest, we couldn't pass it up.
To avoid the myriad of questions and countdown tactics, and to make it more fun, we decided to surprise the kids. I love the Amazing Race, and Aubrey has watched it with me a few times, so I knew she would love it too.
On the morning of our departure, their first instruction was on the front of the fridge. I've never seen them get dressed so quickly.
Clue #1 was on the windshield of the van, but the kids didn't spot it until we started to pull out of the garage.
I sneakily gave clue #2 to the flight attendant and told her which seat Aubrey was in (diagonally behind us). She was shocked that someone else was in our adventure. It was so fun to watch her looking at the Southwest napkin (also their route map) and try to guess where we might be going.
Gavin was super clever and put clue #3 in the line-up markers for our next flight. The kids were busy looking out the windows at the planes, then turned around to see their clue right in front of them.
By this time, Aubrey had kind of figured it out (hard not to with all the Disney promos and ads as soon as you hit California). She was a good sport though and didn't tell Lincoln.
The fourth and final clue was handed to them in our rental car. Under the flap was a Mickey Mouse sticker. It was so fun to surprise the kids, and so great to pack without their help and not answer questions all week about when we were going to go. We will definitely do many more 'Amazing Adventures.'
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
Our Amazing Adventure
(I took pictures of the kids and their clues as we traveled, but that poor camera was accidentally left in the airport bathroom and never turned in to Lost and Found. Boo hoo.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment