Wednesday, December 23, 2009

O Christmas Tree II


Just like last year, we recently cut down our own tree at the local Christmas tree farm. It isn't as rustic as it sounds--we drove our car to the parking area, walked maybe 100 yards to a vast field of trees, cut it (the only part that's legit), a guy in a tractor came to pick it up, we paid, and voila! Fresh cut Christmas tree.

Don't get me wrong--it's fun, and it our cute little tradition, but we can in no way claim to be lumberjacks. It's kind of like going fishing at a fish hatchery--which is nothing like fishing in open water (not that I know much about that either, but you catch my drift . . . ).


Anyway, besides actually sawing the tree down (with a borrowed saw, not ours), the only other thing we had to do was tie the tree to our car.

On the very slow drive home, we heard suspicious noises overhead. Oh no! Not again! Even my little 2-year-old was perceptive enough to say in a hushed and fearful voice, "Our Kissmas twee fawin off, Mommy. Our Kissmas twee fawin off."


You should know that the tree started out in line with the car--as in lying from front to back. Somehow along the way, it turned a full 90 degrees and slid off a bit. So Jace was right, it really was falling off.


At least this year, nobody bragged about knot-tying skills.

(If you're wondering why Aubrey isn't pictured--she had Girl Scouts that day and wanted us to go without her. "I don't want to get my shoes dirty," she told me. A girl's gotta have priorities.)

5 comments:

Wilde ones said...

I miss being able to cut down a fresh Christmas tree and the fresh smell that fills the room.
Aubrey cracks me up!

jake 'n amie said...

I have 3 favorite things about this post:
a) I love the two home-boy poses in the first picture
b) Gavin's sweet mustache in the next
and c) of course I think that sounds like an awesome tradition...makes me want to get a real tree next year :)

Love you guys! Merry Christmas!! We will miss you!!!

Heather said...

so funny sarah! you make me smile. nate begs me every year for a "real" tree.. don't think i will ever give in! ;)

Happy new year!!!!

xoxo

Jennifer said...

Funny because when I first saw the picture as I was reading I though to myself, "how is it that they didn't know which direction to put the tree on?" Glad it started out right. Lookes like Gavin needs a calling in scouts;-)

jbel said...

we enjoy cutting our own tree as well ... the kids LOVE it!

so per your post below - the naughty tale- I'm so glad someone else has kid(s) who misbehave as wildly as mine do!

just last week I asked myself several times, "Why am I a mother?"

I'm glad to be in good company!