Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

I know I haven't posted in a while. And I know I've written more than a couple of blog posts about how I'm going to do better and catch up and blah blah blah--it ain't happenin', folks. Maybe one day . . .

For now, the best I can do is stay somewhat current and maybe backtrack with an older post every once in a while. I really want to have this record for my own family, but laundry and meals and carpools and kids' activities and sometimes sheer laziness (stupid facebook!!!) get in the way.

{Incidentally, in the one minute since I started this post, Jace climbed up to the kitchen bar and was cutting his Cap'N Crunch pieces with a knife. On the bar. Ricocheting cereal all over the counter and floor. Super fun. This is my life.}

~*~*~*~*~

Today is Christmas Eve. Gavin is on IR (interventional radiology) which is the most demanding of the radiology sub-specialties. Any hospital procedure that requires imaging also requires my smarty pants, hard-working, radiologist husband. And so it is that I was planning on gym time and shopping and a pedicure all by my lonesome, and what do you know?

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

His darn pager. A 71-year-old patient pulled out a tube and needs to be assessed, perhaps the tube has to be replaced. Gav gathers all the info, calls the staff doc, and leaves for the hospital. It could be a very long day, especially since most hospital employees aren't there. Everyone will have to be called in.

I'm trying not to feel too sorry for myself. I need to remember my blessings and think of the patient's family. Their Christmas Eve is surely more of a bummer than mine. I also have many friends whose husbands are in Afghanistan or Iraq, so I really don't have it so bad. Maybe I'll make that toffee I've been drooling over.

In the mean time, I wanted to post our Christmas card pic for this year. At 6 months pregnant, I didn't feel like sending a photo of myself, and of course my husband's schedule isn't really conducive right now to the drama that is a family photo session. Luckily I had a photo from October's apple squeeze in Steilacoom that was good of each of the kids. So I created this little beauty:


And while I'm at it, here is last year's pic. I actually never sent them out, but cleverly included it in the ones I mailed this year. Once again, no family photo, just a hodge podge of each of us:


I went with an 'ABC' theme for this year's Christmas letter. I try to do something different each year. If I can figure out how to properly upload the letter, I'll get it on here too.

For now, I need to sweep up the Cap'N Crunch.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Merry Christmas my friend!!! hope gav gets home soon...

love ya

The Seaquist Family said...

Sarah... I just love how real you are. I feel like I am the only one who lives in a circus. Nice to know I'm not alone. Can't wait to hear where you guys are headed next. Hope the little one inside is treating you well. Merry Christmas.

Stephanie Saunders said...

Yeah, I'm still updating from Halloween. I hear ya. I'm trying to get them all done before it's technically 2011. Of course, I was also supposed to get them all done before it was Christmas. Oh well.