Gavin has six weeks of night float this year. He goes to work at 8:00 p.m., and comes home the next morning around 9 or 10:00 a.m. When on night float, he is the only radiologist in the hospital and, as such, stays quite busy overnight.
We've worked out a pretty good system so he can sleep during the day. He barricades himself in the guest bedroom, puts up a room darkening shade, and slumbers the day away until time to get up and do it all again.
As the week progresses, he tends to sleep later and later. This past go-round, on his last day, I opted to leave Lincoln home while I zipped over to the school to pick up Aubrey and some of her friends from after-school sports. Gavin was due to wake up anytime, and it would only take me a few minutes. Lincoln was entranced in a television show so really, what could go wrong?
How about nearly blowing up the microwave? Uh-huh.
Gavin heard the explosion of the microwave turntable, then smelled the charred remains of the mystery food a few minutes later. When I pulled in, he was just opening the microwave to see what had happened. Lincoln was sitting on the couch like a zombie, shrugging his shoulders every time we asked him what he had done.
It took Lincoln a few days to recover from the trauma enough to talk about it (seriously), but he finally fessed up. He wanted a quesadilla, so he pushed a chair to the microwave, popped in a tortilla, and 'jus pushed 1 a yot a yot of times, and den it turned to fi-ya and made a youd noise like dis, 'BOOM!'
Lesson learned, folks.
15 comments:
Dad and I laughed so hard. Poor Linc, but what a wonderful story. Dad used the term "catatonic" for Lincoln on the couch.
How do you replace the turntable? Is the door gone too?
One more thing, How did he climb up there? Those numbers on the microwave pad are high!
He pushed a chair over. The chair was still there when Gav came downstairs. The door is fine, it's just open in the pic.
I took a picture because I knew we'd laugh about it one day too. =)
sarah. i love this kid. fi-ya i can totally hear him. is gavin like what the heck?? or is he laughing about it now??
i wonder how many times he pushed 1? i'm still laughing! :)
love ya.
p.s. can you come over and pray over my head?? ;) lol
if a kid blows up a tortilla in the microwave and no one is around to see it and mom doesn't blog about it - did it happen? thank goodness we all get to share in this with you. and now you have a good record of the mishap for when you want to retell it and he thinks your exaggerating.
i can't believe the glass shattered.
poor sweet lincoln...
I didn't know a tortilla could catch on fire like that! Good lesson to learn. Poor Lincoln, I would have stayed on the couch too.
Can you blame him? He's just taking after his Mom who loves to bake!
After all, you said it yourself- "Nothin' says lovin' like somethin' from the (microwave) oven"!
Thank goodness the "fi-ya" was contained to your microwave. I can't believe those are the remains fo a quesadilla! Nothing like the sounds of things blowing up to roost you out of bed. Tell Gavin he has now been officialy prepared for a deployment:-)
WOW! Poor Linc! That was a GREAT laugh! I love visiting your blog!
oh my gosh, Sarah--this is SO funny! Yeah, we had a few "kaboom" episodes at our house, too--mostly from kids forgetting to remove their silverware before using the microwave, LOL!
I leave my kids all the time when Jon is sleeping. I tell them not to wake up daddy unless there is a fire. I never thought it could actually happen. I'll remember that next time I NEED to get my nails done when Jon is sleeping!
oh my!!! My roomie at college blew up a potato in the microwave, decimated the microwave and smoke filled the whole basement by the time the firetrucks arrived. they seem like such innocent foods :)
HA!!!!!
It always happens when they're under daddy's watch... I've lowered my expectations for quality child care when I leave them home with him, bless his heart.
Post a Comment