Thursday, April 30, 2009

Flower Power

I've wanted to go to the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival ever since I heard about it our first year here. There is only a small window of opportunity to see the flowers in full bloom, and we missed it the past two years. This year I was determined to make it!


We initially booked a hotel room for Mother's Day weekend. We thought it would be fun to make it a mini-vacation, and our kids always love swimming in the hotel pool. However, we soon realized the flowers would already be past their prime by then. We couldn't go the weekend before because I was going to be in Utah for Women's Conference (my Mother's Day present to myself, thank you very much). So, our only remaining option was to take a Sunday afternoon drive and go up after church on April 26.


It sounded reasonble enough--pack a picnic lunch and head up after Gavin was done with his church responsibilities. He helps out with the finances in our church, and it usually doesn't take too long. I had all the kids' favorite drinks and snacks, plus a change of clothes for me, Aubrey, and Gavin. I figured the boys could stay in their khakis and be just fine.


Well, true to Arnett family fashion, all did not go as planned. Gavin's responsibilites kept him longer than usual, so the kids and I decided to eat in the car while we waited. As I was preparing their sandwiches and trying to keep everyone happy, Aubrey and Lincoln got into a squabble which resulted in one of them slapping the other. I promptly marched the 'slapper' into Gavin's office while the 'slappee' stayed in the car with me. When we were finally on the road, we hit horrific traffic (of course) and cute Jace threw up on himself. Remember? Smart, smart me didn't pack a change of clothes for the boys.


We finally made it to Tulip Town, and luckily I had a baby shower gift for a friend in the car. Jace (who will be 2 in June) got to wear the baby's 12-month sized romper tucked into his khakis (don't worry, Rainey, I bought you a new one), and off we went.

What is about these goofy face contraptions that no kid can resist?

One of my favorite pictures . . . although it is hard to choose. It was really so beautiful!

Lincoln's favorite flowers were the yellow ones. I guess it fits his mellow personality.

Can you tell the romper is a little small on him? Poor guy . . . he didn't care though. He could have run on this dirt trail naked and still had a blast!

He'd for sure rather be running than stuck with me in the flower field. He didn't like the flowers much at all.

Sure, they look cute in this pic. Don't be fooled--I think half of Tulip Town heard me hollering at them to behave and quit fighting.

My cute little Washingtonians aren't used to the sunshine--they had a hard time looking at the camera.

It really was beautiful and well worth the drama involved in getting us there. Next year, however, I think I'll revisit the hotel idea.

5 comments:

Barb said...

I saw this once and it is so beautiful! thanks for the pics as a reminder the beautiful creations that our Maker gave to us.

Barb said...

oh yes, I was going to add to that, but pressed publish too soon. When we lived in Wasco, CA, they have the roses. And the flowers in your pictures were much like the ones in Wasco, only it was all roses....every color, and the smell was so delicious.

CatCrazy said...

Beautiful!!! I would fill my 16GB card with photos in about an hour! LOL

April Cobb said...

WOW! That is amazing, and that picture of Aubrey should be made into a greeting card.

Holly said...

Okay I FINALLY read this posting! I'm still laughing at all the "funny" --it's only funny cause it didn't all happen to me--things that happened. Sadly, we miss this beautiful time of year too. Alas. Maybe we'll just come out there to see the tulips one of these days. Miss seeing your face! Ciao, bella~ Holly