Friday, March 28, 2008

Random acts of kindness


Gavin walked in the door tonight with this sweet little package. At first I thought it was from somebody at the hospital. A fellow resident with a flair for baking? Nope, he had picked it up off the front porch. How fun! I love gifts, especially ones I get to eat. There was a little card attached that said, 'Thinking of You,' but no name. So who was so kind as to drop this by? I may never know.

My next thought was, "Should I eat it? What if it's poisoned?" But it's banana bread and I live in Pleasantville, so of course I'm eating it. Then I wondered if maybe whoever dropped it off left a voice mail to say it was from them, but the only messages were from the dentist and a potential babysitter who was unavailable--a far cry from an anonymous baking friend. 

So you see, this random act of kindness really was a bright spot in my day. If you are the dear soul who was thinking of me today, thank you!! Wouldn't this world be a better place if all of us could give a little more--even without receiving credit for it? 

While I'm blogging about acts of kindness, here's a cute story worth sharing that I found a while back. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 

And really, let's all try to be little kinder. Thanks again to my banana bread-baking angel. I'll think of you (whoever you are) as I savor every morsel.

(My hubby-love says he is going to wait a bit before eating any of it--to make sure I don't suffer strange side effects from eating anonymous treats. I say it'll be gone before the sun comes up tomorrow, so he'll miss out. It's delish. Oh, but don't you fret--if I do keel over, the cellophane wrap, ribbon and homemade card will all be dusted for fingerprints.) 

10 comments:

Heather said...

I love it Sarah!! :) wink, wink!!

Have a great Saturday!!

Heather said...

p.s. way to go on figuring out how to click on here!! ummm hello help me out!!

Cathy said...

I love your blog, it always makes me laugh. Also, how did you make it look so cute? You have an awesome friend somewhere to be thinking of you on a random Saturday!

Anonymous said...

Seeing as I'm anonymous (I have to be, I don't know our blogger user name or password, not sure the Mrs. trusts me with the blog just yet.), I can truthfully tell you, your kind-hearted brother "Thad" gave you the banana bread.

BTW: Really liked the "Angel in the Post Office" story.

Love you all.

Fisher Family said...

Random acts of kindness..aren't they wonderful. I think you've done some for me..thank you. And thank you for sharing what Lincoln said on the way to Primary. It's the little things that make a difference.

Esther said...

Sarah,

I love your blog. It was fun to see what you are up to.

ESther

April Cobb said...

That is totally my husband. When a woman who lived up stairs from us in Wymount Terrace brought over lasagna for dinner one night just to be nice, Jay wouldn't touch it when I served it because he said we don't know her very well and we can't be sure what was in it. And he gives me a hard time any time someone drops food off anonymously. I eat it without looking back. He runs the other way. I am glad you ate it and enjoyed it though. If I were there, I would drop stuff off all of the time with no card just to keep you guessing.

Jennifer said...

Isn't it good to live in Pleasantville! Hope your still alive when I return from vacation!

Lynn said...

Funny cause I yesterday I was composing a post in my head and thought I'd title it random acts of kindness (someone did something nice for Ben).

So I looked up the Fort Lewis tris - 60 degrees in the lake! Yikes, but at least the start time is 9 and not 6am. I'd totally do one with you, let me know what you're thinking about. Or if you want to do a relay on one I'm up for that too. I'm a horrible biker and I know you're a good runner so do you know anyone who does bike? I'd do it either individual or team, just let me know (that last one looks a little long. that equals extra chafing btw. seriously, to me that's the most painful part of a tri. my inner thighs were scarred for years in college) So I should have just sent you an email. Way TMI for a public blog but oh well.

Unknown said...

Sara I just found your blog on Dana's. So cute and I love the pictures of your kids on the side. They look great!