
Aubrey and I have new haircuts. We're twinners actually, but not on purpose.
As for me, I am and always will be a short-hair girl. My hair texture is better with short hair, my face shape is more flattered when it's short, and my hair simply doesn't grow. I will never be a locks of love candidate because there is no love in my locks.
Every decade or so, I try to challenge fate and grow my hair longer. By 'longer,' I mean a wee bit past my shoulders, or just enough for a respectable (no bobby pins) ponytail. Since my hair won't grow, it really doesn't get much better than that. I don't know why I bother. I think I get envious of everyone else who has gorgeous long hair, and I think somehow 'this time' will be different.
I've been stuck at the shoulder-length stage for quite some time now; but there was a pregnancy in there, so I put off making a big change. Then I decided I wanted to be happy with my body (i.e. lose weight) before deciding what to do with my hair, thereby prolonging the inevitable.
I finally couldn't stand it anymore and needed a change. At the rate I've been going with losing weight, I could shave my head bald and grow it back out to my pathetic shoulder-length look, and I would still be fighting the same 5 pounds. So I called my friend Amy (who also did my hair in Maryland--then moved here, how lucky is that?), and she worked her magic.
My hair is now blonder, shorter, and cuter. What more could a girl want?
Now on to Aubrey. Unfortunately, she has inherited my hair, as well as my dreams of long, flowing locks. There is a crucial element that she doesn't understand though--for hair to grow, she has got to stop cutting it. Oh, that girl.
A month or so ago, we decided to let her bangs grow out. She thinks she looks 'like a boy' with bangs, and her solution last Christmas was to simply cut them off. She chopped a big chunk right to the scalp. She cut Lincoln's hair that night too, as well as several dolls and stuffed animals. And it's not like scissors are just laying around at my house, so she really had to be stealth to pull this off.

Little by little, the bangs grew back out and kept growing. We were to the point that we could pull them back in a clip or a headband and I thought she'd learned her lesson. Just before school got out, I noticed some short bangs again, but not all of them--weird little wispy chunks. I asked if she cut them, and she confessed. They were in her eyes and bugging her. Oh, Aubrey. So I took her to trim them all evenly, which ended up looking like a bowl cut--so much for growing out bangs.
Shortly after my hair cut, she suddenly had a chin-length short piece on one side and an even shorter piece on the other side--random chunks cut out of her hair. What is she thinking? So I had no choice--she needed a new 'do too, and the best option was an A-line bob, stacked in back--much like mine.
Like mother, like daughter. If my boys have matching shirts, I guess it's okay for Aubrey and I to have matching hair. And if she keeps cutting it, her hair can match her brothers'.
These are taken with my cell phone, so the quality isn't very good. On the left, she's getting her bangs trimmed after having done it herself. On the right, she is showing the two chunks she had already cut. Heaven help me.
4 comments:
That picture is adorable! I LOVE your hair. I have the opposite problem...I always envy those with cute little bobs. My hair is not cut out for short do's. I try every few years and HATE it. I think the same thing, that this time it will somehow be cuter. It never is. I'm doomed with long hair. So, remember the next time you envy someone's long hair, they are probably envying yours.
Oh my goodness- I remember when Miranda and Makenna cut eachother's hair! I could've died :) The new do's look great though!
Cute hair cuts. If you're jealous of long locks, don't look at Damaris. She's got them and I'm jealous even with my thick hair. I think of you while I'm fighting 5pounds of post pregnancy weight. Weren't we doing this not so long ago after Lincoln and Carol? Well, you look good in your pictures. Aubrey's funny and I love hearing her stories.
I love your haircuts! It would be fun to have you over. The movers broke our kitchen table...when we get a few pieces of furniture, we'll have a party
Post a Comment