Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Home sweet home

After two weeks in Utah, we are all home now. We drove down as a family, but Gav flew back a few days later. The kids and I stayed and frolicked for another week and a half, then my mom drove back with us (thanks mom).  

We have lived away from family for 6+ years now, and I finally figured out how to visit properly. I have always felt so stretched with all that we want to see and do, then disappointed to not even scratch the surface. Not this time. After Gav flew out and the family reunions were done, I sat down and scheduled the rest of the trip. I alternated days playing with cousins and days visiting my college roommates and mission friends (and their kids). We had places to go and people to see every single day--sometimes two in a day. It was great.

I suffer from TMF (too much family) when we're not busy, and I'm sure my parents suffer from TMS (too much Sarah and her kids), so this arrangement really was perfect. 

Some highlights of our trip include swimming outdoors, visiting BYU, Pioneer Day parades, Days of '47 kid fest, going to Lagoon, the children's garden at Thanksgiving Point, seeing This Is the Place and Heritage Park, watching fireworks from grandma's patio, Discovery Gateway children's museum and fountains, and of course all kinds of BBQs, playgrounds, and cousin fun. This is what summer vacation is all about. (Stay tuned for pics--I'll get those posted soon.)

I thought I had had enough sunshine in Utah with the 90+ degree weather, but I assumed I would return to at least a little sunshine here in Washington. Nope. Not so far. Thank goodness I have a few days in California to look forward to next weekend. I mean, really . . . it is the end of freakin' July. A girl can only take so much gloom. 

11 comments:

Becca said...

Sarah, I'm so sad we missed you this trip. While you were here visiting your parents we were in SB visiting my parents. I'm glad you had a good visit. Also, I love your latest family photo. Your kids are adorable!

Cathy said...

Sounds like the way to do it! I can't believe I didn't run into you at all those places. We've hit almost every single thing you listed! Isn't the children's museum at Gateway awesome? By the way, I love the new family picture at the top of your blog. You all look beautiful!

Lynn said...

What a cute family pic! You are so good with colors - from decorating your house to dressing your family for a group pic. I could use some lessons.

April Cobb said...

It was so good to see you!! Time doesn't seem to pass at all between visits. And aside of the 1.5 hour wait to get knotted glittery hairstyles for our girls, I enjoyed every minute of it! Sorry about the gloom. At least you have air conditioning.

Jennifer said...

I can't believe you fit so many things in. My kids love the mazes at Thanksgiving point. We are all glad to have you home!

Dents said...

Hey Arnett's what a cute family picture you have on your blog. Glad you had fun in Utah. It has been pretty chilly and rainy the past few days. I was in CA for a few weeks, and when we came back we were all freezing, and had to re adjust to the fall weather :)

Marie said...

Sounds like you guys had a blast!!! Visiting family is always fun, but its always nice to come home!!!

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

Yea, a Utah trip! I can't wait for ours. It sounds like you guys had some great fun. I love the family photo. We are in desperate need of an update--professional, and Lynn's not nearby so I'm wondering what to do. Do I dare step into a photo studio? They seem well above the causalness us Jones' usaully have...:)

Heather said...

glad you had fun! I've missed you & i hope last night went well! :)
lets get together soon!

Anonymous said...

great to have ya back! i suffer from TMF also but my parents live in olympia. i guess that's the price you pay from free baby sitting. ahh whata ya do.

Dents said...

You know, my best friend couldn't even make it through Twilight. It is strange for me to hear of such occurances. I thought New Moon dragged during all the parts about Jacob..but I enjoyed Eclipse. Sorry you aren't head over heels in the books! But you are probably better off :)