Friday, August 8, 2008

Hip hip hooray for photo recovery


You already know I have bad luck when it comes to anything techno. I'm just a glutton for punishment with gadgets. At least this time there is a happy ending.

So I had the brilliant idea to take pictures of Jace and Lincoln in the sprinklers the other day. All was well until Linc had the brilliant idea to crank the sprinkler up full blast--ruining my great shot and dousing me and the camera. AAAARGH!! 

Immediately something went awry--the lens wouldn't close.  When I finally got it closed, the memory card needed reformatting. I'm at least smart enough to know that reformatting is a big no-no unless you want to lose your pics. When I tried to upload pics, the computer didn't recognize the memory card. Uh-oh. I hadn't uploaded pics since Jace's birthday over a month ago--and a lot has happened since then. 

As it turns out--573 images of happenings, but I couldn't retrieve them. Neither could the nice people at Ritz Camera--they said my memory card was empty. Persistence pays off, people. I knew I could get those pictures somehow. 

Thanks to Klix, I eventually recovered them all. I learned a lot too. Memory cards are great for storage, but they are easily corrupted. If this ever happens to you, don't despair. Just download some good software and keep your fingers crossed. It worked for me!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness i am so glad you are persistent. Think of all those pictures you could have lost. It makes my tummy flop just thinking about it!

Crazy Herb Girl said...

Wow, that is FAITH! And you got your reward, and you even posted the pic that was before the damage...that equals my muddy prints I think =)

Lynn said...

I've got a camera that you might want to look into. The Olympus 790SW. Not only will you be able to brave the sprinklers but you can also resume taking pictures outside for those OTHER nine months of the year that the NW is famous for. I even put mine underwater to take pics of the sandollars at Tolmie and inthe water thing at the childrens museum. And it's drop proof.