We had early church yesterday, so Gav and I took turns afterward napping. Oh, how I love a Sunday nap! When it was Gavin's turn, the kids and I went out blackberry picking. Aubrey rode her bike to a nearby park, and the boys rode in the double jogger. By the time we got back, I had to throw something together quickly for dinner.
The griddle was still out from french toast that morning, so I opted for grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. This was a pretty common meal in my house growing up, but I don't think I've ever fixed it for my kids. I didn't know how it would go over, but I really didn't care. In our house, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.
And you know what? They loved it!! Aubrey and Lincoln both lapped down their soup and grubbed on their sandwiches. Even Jace was happy with his little grilled cheese bites.
Who knew? And to think I've been slaving over meals like marinated salmon, steamed broccoli, and baked potatoes--really?!? All they want is a little comfort food.
What other simple meals are big hits with your kids? I definitely need to expand my repertoire.
5 comments:
My kids LOVE grilled cheese and tomato soup..especially when I let them drink the soup with a straw. Such an easy meal that makes everybody happy!
We totally did that same meal growing up! We also had grilled tuna in the selection. I tried making it for my kids but unfortunately didn't get the same response as you did from my kids...or Matt. And grilled tuna sandwiches aren't half as good as I remember. In fact it sounds kind of gross to me now. What did you make with the blackberries?
We totally did that same meal growing up! We also had grilled tuna in the selection. I tried making it for my kids but unfortunately didn't get the same response as you did from my kids...or Matt. And grilled tuna sandwiches aren't half as good as I remember. In fact it sounds kind of gross to me now. What did you make with the blackberries?
Tuna Noodle Casserole. But it must be made with white sauce, not--heaven forbid!--mushroom yuck soup.
Thirty years and still the top request.
I just had a good successful quick meal. My kids love rice, so they enjoyed it. We had Purdue Short Cuts chicken that I added at the last minute (just to heat up) to a stir fry mixture. Drizzle skillet with oil (I used safflower & a little bit of sesame oil). Add garlic (2 squares popped out of a frozen tray you can get from Trader Joe's) and about a teaspoon of ginger (squeezed out of a tube you get from the produce section) and dumped in a bag of vegetables suitable for stir fry (Trader Joe's Harvest- my kids loved the baby corns). Serve over brown rice (Trader Joe's 90 second microwave rice). This literally took me like 5 or 6 minutes & it was done! Woo hoo! I don't think that's ever happened before.
Post a Comment