Friday, September 5, 2008

Peanut butter play-doh

I'm no supermom. That's for sure. Before the world of blogger, I thought I was pretty normal. Now, with the click of a mouse, I can see that I fail miserably. 

I'm in awe--truly--at how patient, creative, and loving so many of my friends are when it comes to their kids. It's just not in me. While I'm losing my mind, you supermoms out there are busily crafting activities, homeschooling, and knitting (or whatever else it is you do) always with an immaculate home in the background. 

Every once in a while, however, even I--underachieving mom that I am--experience a stroke of genius. Oh yes. 

And so it was last week. Driving home from preschool, Lincoln was crabby and tired. The weather was dreary, so playing outside wasn't an option. We needed a fun indoor activity to keep everyone (including myself) happy. 

I remembered an edible play-doh my friend Lisa made for our co-op preschool a few years ago. It was brown day, and I think the kids made bird's nests or something. A simple search online produced the recipe, I had all three ingredients on hand, and my sweet children were busily enjoying themselves in no time.



The artistes at work, although Jace favored eating over sculpting.

Aubrey's finished product. She said it was what Jace looked like after self-feeding in his high chair.  Yeah, I can see it . . . 

The recipe is simple--1 cup nonfat dry milk, 1/2 C peanut butter, and 1/4 C honey. You mix all together until you have a play-doh consistency, adjusting the ingredients as needed. As you knead it, it gets smoother and more like play-doh. I gave the kids whatever else was in my pantry for creativity--marshmallows, craisins, pretzels, coconut--you could also use cheerios, dried beans, etc. I also put press n' seal wrap on the table for easy clean-up.

I'm still no supermom, but I did have a super moment. And so did the kids, which is what matters most anyway.

15 comments:

Natalie C. said...

Wow, that IS brilliant! The press & seal is brilliant, too. Wow, I might be able to handle that without getting too overwhelmed one of these days.

Crazy Herb Girl said...

You KNOW that I'm not one that has a sparkly clean house (except for when I'm trying to sell it!). NObody is supermom. Homeschooling goes great until you break down and scream your head off because of the dirty looks, sighs of anger and disgust and the walking away while you are trying to explain something....Screaming things like,"Did you treat your teacher at school like this? How come I have to deal with it?" But the kids are worth it right? RIGHT?!

The Jones Family said...

Too fun! And I don't think you know too well what you're talking about...you may be surprised at how many people are saying the whole "Super Mom" thing and refering to YOU!!! :) You're Awesome - See you Sunday.

Anonymous said...

You rock! And yum, it brings back memories of when I was a kid and used to devour the stuff. Oh great, now I'm craving some . . . and you even posted the recipe (I'm in trouble now! lol)

April said...

No superwoman...ha! You are awesome. I just want to add that I made some once with powdered sugar and peanut butter. It should be OUTLAWED because it's not just "edible," it's YUMMY!!! Will I be seeing you guys around Washington State in late September (around the 21st)???????? :)

Millers! said...

Yeah Cloe is right.. you are a supermom! I have been wanting to do this Edible playdoh but I always forget to buy the dry milk..where do you get it anyway? I saw it on Jon and Kate plus8.. hahaa...

Aunt Spicy said...

Sarah...What and adorable family! I was hoping to find pictures of the nativity you made, it sounds like the perfect gift! Oh, and how fun that we both know Natalie C!

Marie said...

I hear ya gesh you sound just like me on this post:) My house always seems to be a disaster and the kids always seem to be screaming at me or im screaming at them. So sad when you actually look foreward to going to weight watchers and getting on a scale just to have a second to yourself:) Anyhow i love this idea we used to do this when i was little. Thanks for the recipie!!!

Heather said...

I'm with Jenny. No one is really a supermom. Except... yeah, I've got to work on that comparison thing too.

Grandma said...

Loved the pictures! You are great mom... Of course I could be a little bit biased!

Tami said...

I would have definately clumped you in that group of supermoms out there. The trick is only talk about the good things.

Lisa said...

I'm glad you linked me on your blog. How do you that? I tried to do it once, but I'm too blog dumb I think. Teach me all your secrets, master blogger. Yep, that's Leah. Her email is dcleah@yahoo.com. She doesn't have a blog. She needs to succumb to peer pressure!

Barb said...

Don't compare yourself to the other mom's out there. That's like comparing your "back yard with your neighbor's front yard."

They put down the great exciting things that they do with their young un's, and not the daily rituals. LOL

I never made peanut butter play-doh, and I never would have thought to put press and seal wrap on the table. I just grumbled when I had to tidy up everything.

So keep up the good work, my friend. Remember, "tomorrow" they'll be gone and these moments will be a fun memory.

Paola said...

Peanut butter playdoh sounds like a supermom-thing to me! It also sounds like a great way to get my daughter interested in peanut butter. I've tried so many ways to get her to like it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Jennifer said...

You have always been a supermom in my book but the peanut butter playdough solidifies your claim:-)