Okay, so I'm new to this whole blog thing. I wonder if there is a 'Blogging for Idiots' book or online tutorial? You seasoned bloggers have to help me out.
First of all, I feel like I'm back in elementary school and I'm the last kid picked for dodge ball. How have I not known that seemingly everyone has a blog? And does it make me a stalker for finding old friends through other friends' blogs? What about when I try to click on someone's blog and I'm locked out? And not just anyone, mind you--people I know personally and have invited to my home. Do I send them an email saying, "I'll show you mine if you show me yours?" It's like inviting yourself to a party for which the invitations were already sent (oops, you didn't get one).
And what about the popularity meter on the side? Is it okay to post links to my friends' blogs (the ones I'm allowed into, anyway) without asking them? What if they don't post a link to my blog? I'm not taking any chances, so if I don't have you 'linked,' no offense. You 'link' me first, then I'll know we're really friends.
I was thinking just the other day how much I miss personal emails. The most exciting email I get is the one from Southwest airlines. And emails once replaced phone calls or snail mail letters; which I'm sure once upon a time were seen as a replacement for actual visits--imagine that? No, there's really no need now. Forget about meeting your friend at the park to talk about all the dirty deeds of your kids. Just take pics and post them on your blog. Like that old movie about the guy building a baseball diamond in his cornfield, 'If you post it, they will read.' (Although in the movie it was, 'If you build it, they will come,' of course.)
If this seems at all calloused or sarcastic, please accept my apology. I am, afterall, here aren't I? On a blog, trying to find my place in the blogging world. Just please don't let blogs replace Christmas cards. And if your blog is one of the ones I'm locked out of--no hard feelings. Simply send me an email invite, and I'll pretend I didn't already try to bust through. {smile}
(Ummm . . . have they done away with picking teams in elementary school? I know the pledge of allegiance is rare and 'Christmas Break' is now called 'Winter Break'--all for fear of causing some sap of a kid to feel left out. Can you see how psychologically damaged I am from the whole dodgeball scenario? At least now as an adult, I have the tools to cope.)
Saturday, March 1, 2008
Some thoughts (okay, an epistle) on blogging
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I'm laughing sooooooo hard!! That is why I love you! You keep me smiling!!:)
after reading this i'm realizing why i have no friends in hawaii. blogging has taken the place of human interaction. that and the beaches.
i look forward to your future epistles and musings.
and i linked you to my blog right?
Great analogy. The analogy I had was that blogging is the new gossip, except you get everything first-hand!
Sarah, you have always cracked me up and your blog hasn't let me down! I'm so happy that you're blogging! I'll send you an invite to mine (now that I've seen yours! Ha ha.) I'm a late-comer to blogging too.
Welcome to blogging Sarah. I found you through Cathy's blog. I totally agree with you about the friend links on the side. I have given up adding links of friends as they start blogging. Eventually my list would be so long it would get out of control. And then what happens as you move. Do you delete all those families to make room for new friens? I just check on all my newer blogging buddies through others blogs. Glad to have you though. I miss getting to see you at Raindrops and Rainbows. You and Mary Seaquest are the funniest people I've ever know. I love to be around you!
Post a Comment