I was so sad for the end of school. Some moms are excited for lazy days with no schedules so they can just hang out with their kids. Not me.
But there has to be some down time so Jace can nap. School was a perfect fit--we spent the morning at the gym, then Aubrey went to kindergarten in the afternoon while Jace napped and Lincoln had quiet time. Sometimes Jace napped in the car while we ran errands, but it was definitely simpler to have one less kid.
Not that I don't love my daughter, mind you, I just love her more when she is busy. She simply needs more stimulus than I can offer. So school coming to a close worried me.
Where are you, Ms. Sabado, when we need you? We sure miss you . . .
Aubrey has thrived this year in kindergarten and has been blessed with a great teacher. It was Ms. Sabado's first year teaching, so she had all the enthusiasm of being a rookie. We are so grateful for her dedication in giving Aubrey a good start to school.
I found out she was getting married a week after school ended and organized a group gift from parents in the class. All together, we had $240 which we put towards a gift card to Macy's where she was registered. I'm sure she appreciates that more than the alternative--candles, mugs, magnets, candy, etc.
I didn't feel comfortable sending Aubrey to school with a $240 gift card in her backpack, especially since it was from me and 11 other families. So I went to the school towards the end of the last day. I didn't know there was going to be an assembly, but I'm glad I caught it.
The school did a Math Relay this year--older kids practiced their math skills then competed with 90 other teams. It was a relay combining their math facts with physical feats. The teacher who sponsored the teams from our school promised the kids he'd shave his head if they did well. The assembly I stumbled upon was the ceremonial shaving of the head.
I'm kind of a geek and get a little weepy for random things--like finales of my favorite reality TV shows. Oh yeah, and the Olympics too. I cry. Lame, I know, but it's just me. The same feeling came on as hundreds of elementary school kids chanted 'Shave it off!! Shave it off!! Shave it off!!' and the teacher taunted them by pointing first to his facial hair, then leg hair, then arm hair, etc. Finally he was buzzed bald to the giggles and more chants ('Bal-dy!! Bal-dy!!') of the kids.
Why was that making me tear up? Because I really hated to see such a good thing come to an end. I love Aubrey's school. The teachers and administrators I've seen truly enjoy what they do, and that translates so well to how they interact with the kids and families. It's sad to see this part of her life go missing for a time, and sad that I'll be the one to fill the void.
While I'm doubly distressed that school is out, the kids and I will focus on having fun and enjoying the summer. And I'll be grateful every day that we have at least three more years with all our friends at Chloe Clark Elementary School.
At least now Aubrey can read to Lincoln--how fun! It keeps them both occupied, quiet, and not fighting.
13 comments:
That's ONE of many things why we are friends.. we cry over things like that b/c I was crying pretty hard at Marlee's preschool graduation.:)
Lets try lunch next week!!!
Ummm hello photoshop qween you need to show me some of your skillz!!!! :)
love ya
I'm glad someone else cries at the end of reality TV shows, etc. I'm glad Aubrey had such a great year. Only one more until Elise is at that school. Glad you had such a great experience.
I also liked reading your reality check. So true so true.
I too cried at Trey's spring program. I don't ever understand why. But I also cried when I voted in the primaries and i cry throughout parades. What is with us? mostly, I think both of us are crying because we wish school went year-round with no breaks. HELP!!!
Oh the pains...ooo I mean JOYS of raising children. They're just so cute at graduation!
School should be year-round don't you think? The County should not be allowed to mess with a good family routine! :)
Man I love Chloe Clark...
I love this post. I on the other hand am looking forward to a summer break. My boys are on year around schedule and it is just so wrong. It is not american to be in school during summer. Your kids are getting so big. Have a great summer break.
I agree, Summer is STILL scaring me, Isaac has too much energy for me, and I cant keep him busy enough... count down to September begins... I will start going to the play dates next week... all the feild trips will be good for the kids... love your blog btw!
Lesa Miller
I too have mixed feelings about summer. Order is best but I think I like it better when someone else provides that order for me and I don't have to be the creative mother and come up with it on my own. But I noticed how much her hair has grown...especially the bangs. Yeah!
Atleast Aubrey will be able to attend 1st grade at the same school. It was really hard leaving the elementary behind with all thier wonderful staff, and Porter's adoring teacher.(I shipped Porter off for the whole summer-it hasn't been too bad).
I tear up reading your post because I know what we are missing! I'm glad Aubrey had such a great first year - Here's to many more! We've been out for a several weeks now and I'm still trying to find our groove. It will probably happen as soon as school starts, right?
Wow--this is why I daydream about life after homeschoo; I can't imagine being able to go to the gym every day! Instead, I had to drag my sad fanny out of bed at 5 a.m. to hit the treadmill before the kids woke up, but the noise of the treadmill always awoke them, which meant that they were constantly popping in to my workout room, whining about breakfast, where's my shirt, etc . . . . public school looks soooooo good right now! :)
I've never considered myself a person so addicted to structure, but I'm starting to understand why it's good for our family's sanity!!! You articulated it so well. :)
I share your Olympics/show finales etc. crying stuff. It was the Olypic Trials this weekend I was already all weepy and patriotic. And this is where I should stop typing and not admit that I was crying over something on the Bachelorette. I always know Ben is going to shoot a quick glance over and catch me but I know that's just cause he's feeling it too :)
Post a Comment