Monday, September 22, 2008

My oldest brother


I have been thinking of my brother Andy a lot lately. As most of you know, he is a very integral part of who I am. More than anyone, he has lived life to the fullest and enjoyed every moment. His happiness and love of life is contagious. He has taught me many things.

Andy has taught me to laugh often. I have so many funny stories of him growing up--probably my favorite is the time we were shopping for Easter clothes in JC Penney. I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. He went MIA--as usual--and then we heard over the loudspeaker, "Attention customers, we have a little lost boy up here. He says his name is Dorothy. Would his parents please come pick him up?" You see, Andy had a very active imagination. He would often take on the identity of his favorite character du jour, and that day it was Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I also remember my mom saying immediately to my dad, "Kurt, YOU go." So funny.
Andy has taught me to always champion the underdog. As kids on the playground, you can rest assured that us Weilands were never the ones picking on the little guys. Rather, we were beating up the bullies and turning the tide. Andy helped us see the value in every individual, no matter their differences.
Andy has taught me that nothing is impossible. Andy taught himself to read. The schools didn't believe my mom, and refused to provide adequate education for him. I remember well sitting in our station wagon (it was okay to leave kids in the car back then) while my hero/mom went into the office of the North Carolina State Board of Education to demand better resources. That was just the beginning. Andy graduated from high school--he even went to prom! He earned his Eagle Scout award. He served a mission at the Humanitarian Center in Salt Lake City. My amazing brother has far surpassed the misguided doctor's expectations of him nearly 40 years ago.
Andy has taught me to hope for the resurrection. The day WILL come when my sweet brother will know how very much he means to me. I will be able to express my gratitude and love for him, and he will understand. This is possible through the resurrection of my Savior. All will be restored. I will see Andy as he really is, and our family will spend much of the rest of eternity laughing at the memories of our lives together on earth.

I have a very sweet friend who gave birth last week to a boy like Andy. As I visited her in the hospital, many tears were shed. Like Andy, her son is her first baby. And like my parents, she and her husband didn't see this coming. Until now, I hadn't given much thought to my parents' thoughts and feelings when Andy was born. Undoubtedly, it was a very emotional and overwhelming time for them. It is that way now for my friend. As I've thought about her, I've found some useful websites I want to pass along.


This explanation of what it's like to have a child with a disability is one of my favorites. I originally read it on a plaque at a park in Maryland designed for children of all abilities. It touches me every time I read it.
This speech is great for anyone who has a friend like my friend and doesn't know what to say or how to help. There really is nothing to be afraid of--showing love and sharing happiness goes a long way.
This site is designed for new parents of babies with down syndrome, but it is helpful for friends as well. I especially like the letter for new parents.


I am so thankful to see such great resources out there. A lot has changed in 40 years, and it's truly a gift to have help and understanding.

Recently my dad took Andy to the Apple store for some computer stuff. The clerk was especially attentive and kind to Andy as my dad took care of his errand. Sometime during the visit, the clerk explained to my dad, with tears in his eyes, that he had 'had' a son like Andy.

We don't know how long these beautiful angels will be with us. Having Andy as my brother has been one of the greatest blessings of my life.

25 comments:

The Seaquist Family said...

Your post made me cry. We obviously don't have a child with Downs Syndrome, but we experienced that let down, that panic, that "this isn't what I signed up for" when Christian was about 20 months when he was diagnosed with Autistic Spectrum Disorder. It is a daily struggle and blessing. You have a "normal" life that is normal to you, just not to anyone else. You miss Italy and always will, but that doesn't mean you don't love Holland. Thanks for the post as I try once again to take my three lovlies into public and hope and pray it will go well, knowing good and well it will end in pushing, fighting, crying and losing children. What a great post. Thanks!

Alexis said...

You are sooooo great! The speech from the park is wonderful. What an inspiration you and your family are. Thanks for all the great links.

Donnell Allan said...

Thank you for your beautiful post. I think that you may enjoy this blog:

http://www.5minutesforspecialneeds.com

I need to thank you, too, for all your kindness to me in my struggles. Even though not personally acknowledged, your outreach made a big difference in my life.

As you are blessed to have Andy in your life, Andy is blessed to have you.

I am blessed to have you in my life, too.

Thank you.

Heather said...

Sarah, i can't even type right now cause the tears keep coming....
You are such a special peron & friend. You have an amazing family. You know how to make people laugh, feel good about themselves & most important you have such a special spirit about you. The day i met you at the picnic i knew i would be friends with you forever.
Thanks for the beautiful post...
You are the best person also to help anyone find what they are looking for!!! :)
love ya
xo

Jennifer said...

Sarah you are such a wonderful friend. One that really cares. And what a beautiful testimony too. I enjoyed reading your post and hope that I can be a better friend those that need me.

Crazy Herb Girl said...

Loved reading your post. I miss you! I love reading about the deep thoughts that people have and have pondered. Thanks for sharing things that I know let me have a little peak into your soul. You spoke of seeing Andy as he really is and it's posts like this that we get to see, through your compassion, the goodness of God. Thanks for sharing, Jenny

Amanda said...

You have an amazing family Sarah. What a blessing it must be to have a constant reminder of Heaven. And that we all need to try our best and work hard and endure to the end so that one day we can hope to be a fraction as righteous as Andy.

I am so glad you posted this, I really needed it.

Jenn said...

I remember Andy hiding in the dumpster and whenever anyone would come to dump their trash he would jump up and say he was Oscar the Grouch!
I have a brother-in-law now who is Downs Syndrome and just a ball to be around! They are treasures!
Love your blog.
Jenn (McCullough) Andersen

Zac-ShaunaFamily said...

You know you have another older brother. I better see, as touching as Andy's, another post dedicated to me. Love you Sister, Zac

Millers! said...

Sarah I totally got choked up.. my really good friend has 2 down syndrome sisters.. one was adopted, because they wanted a companion for the other... and what amazing girls they are... SO FUNNY... but dont you dare get infront of Amanda going down the stairs, rest assured you will be pushed down.. I learned my lesson the hard way! LOL... I am so lucky to have met you, you are truley one of a kind! oh yeah, I said hi to Andy when your parents where watching your kids... and he didnt say hi back.. he HMMMPPPHHH'd at me... and walked away... it made me laugh!

Heather said...

What a great post. It's taken me days to comment because I needed the time to read the links! I LOVED the analogy about Italy and Holland. That can really be used for any kind of trial that turns your life upside down. It's helped me see a few things differently since reading it, so thank you. And thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm still laughing about the Oscar the Grouch story!

Anonymous said...

that was a beautiful post. thank you for sharing.

Leah said...

Thanks for the beautiful tribute to our Bear. Maybe it the postpartum hormones, but I'm crying too much to say anything else that would make sense or express how I feel. I love you and am thankful for your amazing example.

AJ said...

Sarah - This post is so incredibly touching! I'm actually sitting at my desk tearing up. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts at testimony!

Leslie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I loved your comment.

On another note...I have a niece who has Downs...I know why you love your brother so much. Thanks for sharing your insights.

jbel said...

Sarah- it's so true that people just don't know what to say ... no matter what the diagnosis is. Thanks for giving others the chance to think and talk about the fact that with differences are similarities too.

The Rowletts said...

What a great post Sarah. Andy is so fun. I loved your insights. Thanks for sharing them. I can still sing your family song ya know. For some reason it has always stuck wuth me! Just love your cute family.

Amber said...

Great post- you are amazing and I'm sure you will be a wonderful support and resource for your friends- your post had me in tears as well.

Stephensens Rock said...

Sarah, I love you and both of your families. What a great tribute to Andy aka Bear. I remember going to pick up Andy when he worked at the bank - he was a boy who defied the odds! You roch! Kate

Fisher Family said...

Loved your post and I think it's neat that we both have big brothers who are such spiritual giants to look up to and admire. Thank you for your sweet perspective. Miss you!!

April said...

Amazing - what a gift you have for life! I'm so sad our time was too short to really chat it up, but I can tell, you are going places -- I can't wait to see all that you do! You are superwoman!

April

sixlayerdip said...

Thank you...I have a sister with a disability similar to Downs...if you saw her, you would think that is what she had. She is an angel. So sweet and caring and special. I think she was the person who was most concerned about Dave while he was in Iraq. She may come up in Nov.

Rachel Smith said...

I just read this post today and loved what you wrote. Stirling and I can't thank you enough for the support you have given us over the last few weeks. You are a great friend.

April Cobb said...

Okay. That was the best blog post I have ever read. I love who Andy is and don't know how you couldn't have just sobbed writing that. THank you. Thank you. Thank you!!!

Melissa said...

Thanks for sharing that, what a great post!! I am all teared up right now.