As I type this week-overdue recap of my celebratory day last week, my kids are locked out in the backyard squirting each other with spray bottles. If one of them screams again, or sprays the sliding glass door again, they might just have to find a new mother. Sigh. Too bad Mother's Day can't be Mother's month. My brother's birthday is in November, and he has declared the entire month Zacvember. And, while a great bro, he isn't nearly as deserving as all the mothers I know.
So here's how it all went down . . .
Yum.

We got home from Great Wolf Lodge around 5:00 Saturday night. Aubrey had a birthday party to attend, so Gav and I took the boys out to eat. Over our yummy dinner, we planned the next day. Gavin thought it would be fun for the kids to bring me breakfast in bed, but my typical breakfast is a banana as I'm running out the door. We decided on pancakes, and I told him we already had a box of bisquick in the pantry. Easy peasy--I'm not hard to please.
The next morning (Mother's Day Sunday), I'm lying in bed lazily reading my book. I know Lincoln is awake, and I think I can hear dishes clanging downstairs. I get out of bed and continue reading in my comfy chair. I get dressed and keep reading. I might have dozed off in there a time or two. I'm beginning to wonder what is taking so long--could it be that Gav can't find the bisquick?
Finally I hear Lincoln tromping up the stairs giggling and exclaiming, "It's wake-up time!" So in comes my cute little family with . . . not pancakes. My sweet Gavin made creme-filled crepes with fresh strawberries and syrup!! A few strawberries were even sliced into a pretty little flower, and the syrup was drizzled just-so on the crepes. What!? Who knew he had a domestic side beyond chocolate chip cookies?!
After church, he also made stew in the Dutch oven for our dinner. There are lots of perks to Dutch oven cooking--the great smoky taste, the fact that Gavin is in charge, and the easy clean-up (of which he is also in charge). But the best part is how long it keeps the kids occupied outside. So far nobody has tried to pick up the coals.
After dinner, it was bedtime. And I was simply pooped from all my relaxing. I fell asleep in Aubrey's room, then stumbled down to my own bed. Gavin stayed up cleaning--what a guy!
So now I really think this kind of treatment should go beyond just one day. A friend of mine once said that Mother's Day is really just a test to see if there is even going to be a Father's Day that year. I'm happy to say that Gav has definitely earned his day this year--and not just for the crepes.
My sweet Mother's Day kisses from Jace
5 comments:
I'm glad you had a nice day!
Crepes...wow, can I rent your hubby next year?
That was so sweet of your husband. Crepes are the best.
Don't you just love those baby kisses? Cute picture.
Your family loves you WAY more than mine. I'm mad. I got a box of chocolates and I got to wake up early with my kids while my husband slept in.
Oops - looks like Ben doesn't get a Fathers Day this year. And just like I'm not his mother - he's not my father, so it's up to the kids on this one.
Post a Comment