Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Forty years ago today


On June 4, 1968 my cute parents were married in the Oakland Temple. The wedding itself was not a storybook one, but they've managed to create a fairy tale nonetheless.

Neither of my parents had the support of their families (dad was a convert to the church, mom was the only active member in her family), so they were on their own. They chose Oakland as it was then the newest temple, and got in a car at BYU to drive to the beginning of the rest of their lives. I think my mom told me once that a past YW leader of hers lived in the Bay area, and she was the only person who came to their wedding.

That's always been so sad to me, but then such a strength at the same time. My amazing parents loved each other and were firm in their testimonies. They wanted to be married, and they wanted to do it right. Nothing was going to stop them, even though there were plenty of obstacles (disapproving parents, mom falling asleep at the wheel, a blown engine in their VW en route, barely making it to the courthouse in time for their wedding license, dad locking the keys in the car after the wedding--just to name a few). It didn't matter. They were there at the temple at their appointed time. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I don't know if they realized then what a legacy they were establishing for their children. And now, forty years later, their legacy lives on.

Do it right the first time.
Go big or go home.
If it's worth having, it's worth fighting for.

My parents decided to celebrate their anniversary by reliving their wedding day. They attended the Oakland temple this morning, and plan to revisit many of the same places from way back when. As mom said though, they've learned a little something in 40 years. No broken-down VW this time--they're renting a sweeeeet Mustang for their joy-riding (after flying to Oakland to begin with). And since hotels.com had nothing nice to say about where they spent their wedding night, they're upgrading that one too. They deserve it.

Way to go, Mom and Dad. I hope you're having a great time. 
Thanks for the legacy of love, and Happy 40th Anniversary!!

The Weiland Family in May 2006
Since then we've added three grandkids, and two more are on their way.

17 comments:

Amanda said...

That is such a sweet love story. You must have the coolest parents. I think I might use this for a Young Women's lesson. Such a great example.

Leah said...

Sarah, you are always so thoughtful. This is such a wonderful tribute to our wonderful parents. Thanks for all you do. Mom and dad truly have left a legacy of love, commitment, and perserverance. By the way, you have always been an awsome example to me as well. Thanks. Love you!!!

The Jones Family said...

Beautiful.

sixlayerdip said...

What a wonderful story. Great and amazing parents you have! I was married there too! Poured Rain. Lots of happy tears from heaven! Has anyone ever told you Lincoln looks like your dad (when he was in his 20's)? My parents ran off to Vegas!! Then found the church about 15 years later! Thank goodness!!

Heather said...

Sarah I think that is so neat! I love your mom.. What a special lady she is!!
Seriously I'm waiting for some certains from her!!! ;)
Happy 40th to them!!!!!!!

Crazy Herb Girl said...

What a story! You're right it's sad no one from the family supported them, but what a testament to their strength! Now I know where you get your perseverance (I know you don't think you have it, but you do!)

Marie said...

How cute are your parents!!! Well i wish them 40 more years:) THat is so so so so sweet!!

April said...

They are definitely a great example and have left at least one child that I know in a great position to follow suit!

Jamie C. said...

That is such a great story Sarah. What a legacy they have created! You must feel very blessed to have such fabulous parents!

Jennifer said...

Wow you have totally awesome parents. How fun to relive the day that started it all. I really like it...maybe after another 27 years I'll deserve it. Maybe?:-)

April Cobb said...

It is no wonder where you get your strong will and "I know best" attitude. I just hope that if we are off our rockers when our kids are getting married that our kids will go ahead and do the right thing too. (As if we will ever not be right... he he.)

The Seaquist Family said...

Ok you made me cry. And if my Young Women were telling me this story I would say BLAST that Satan trying to ruin everything. What a great legacy they have left you and what a wonderful example. How inspiring to make me work a little harder and not take my blessings for granted.

The Jones--trying to keep up said...

That's amazing--I hope I can be a parent like that in my own little way. And good for them to re-live the memories! How fun!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone's comments. My mom always says "do it right the first time" too. And I love your family portrait. Beautiful.

Paola said...

Beautiful story! Congratulations to your parents :)
I hope you are all doing well.

Tami said...

Fun story. Your dad looks a little like Gavin in that picture.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous family photo! Si that a girl I see next to Jake? Since when is he married???