Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Back to School Party

As Aubrey can attest, no party is a party without a goody bag. 

Aubrey was confused the other day by my exuberance that the first day of school is right around the corner. She said to me, "Mom, why are YOU so excited when I'M the one who is going back to school?" Oh darlin', you have no idea . . . 

Thank you, Mother Nature, for letting the sun shine.

To celebrate the new beginning, we had a party at our house. A 'first grade girls' party, as Aubrey liked to call it. There are several little girls Aubrey's age who have moved into our ward, and a few in the neighborhood too. We invited them all over the last day of summer break. They played on the slip-n-slide and decorated sugar cookies. We had also planned on making 'what I did last summer' collages for their pencil boxes, but only one little girl had the patience and desire to do it. Aubrey did hers after everyone went home. 

I got this cute idea from Family Fun magazine. Aubrey picked out some of her favorite pics of the summer, then I printed 9 wallet size pictures on one sheet of photo paper. She cut, glued, and stickered to her heart's content. What a great way to remember the summer!

It was really fun. Like I said about shopping with Aubrey, she is at an age where adventures like this are becoming more enjoyable. She was wiped out afterwards and said to me, "Mom, that was a really fun party." Sweet girl. 

I'm glad she enjoyed herself. After all, mom has reason to celebrate the beginning of school too.

Love, love, love this kid!

8 comments:

The Rowletts said...

How fun is that?? What a sweet thing to do for Aubrey and a fun memory. You are exactly the kind of Mom-friend I love. The kind who throws all the kids a party when I am too lazy to do it myself. I bet all of the other moms just love you. Looks like a great day! Wish we could have come.

Jennifer said...

Man I love Family Fun!!!!! I love the school "prep" bags. Lookslike everyone had a great time!

Natalie C. said...

I love the candy bag. Such a cute idea!

Heather said...

what a cute mom you are! i love this idea & might steal it from you!!!

xoxo

Wilde ones said...

Now, that's the way to celebrate going back to school. Maya is so bored with me lying on the couch feeling sick. Hopefully I'll be a fun mom again soon. I love the pencil box idea. Really cute!

Amber said...

What a fun idea!!!

Anonymous said...

You really are a supermom! All of my back-to-school preparations focused on ME (buying the celebratory Hagen Daas, renting a good chick flick, etc). Maybe next year I'll do something for my kids, too, now that you have inspired me!

The cool family! said...

That's super cute Sarah!! Aubrey is SO big!! So is Lincoln!
-Ryann (still living in good ol' D.C)