Sunday, August 17, 2008

Delighted in Davis

Gavin and I had a great time last weekend in California. Many, many thanks to my sweet mom who came to stay with the kids. She even brought uncle Andy--everyone's favorite teddy bear--and the kids had a blast.

Many thanks also to the Army for sending Gav to the Physics Conference. This trip opened my eyes to the world of accompanied business travel (i.e. Gav's airfare, hotel, and food were already paid for--I was just along for the ride). You better believe we'll be doing that again. In fact, a couple of months ago we received a brochure for various Radiology Conferences sponsored by the Mayo Clinic. One of them was a cruise from Rome to Venice. Hel-lo. Count me in on that one in a few years.

A Venetian mask in a costume shop in Old Town. You know--for when I go to Venice.

It was so fun. Davis is a great little town--trendy shops, quaint restaurants, and friendly people. Gavin spent the days at lecture or studying, and I entertained myself. So what did I do? I worked out (and didn't have to stop to change a poopy diaper), shopped, and relaxed. I got a manicure and pedicure while reading my book. I ate ice cream every day (which now the scale shows--oops). I found a great little farmer's market on Saturday with lots of fresh fruit samples. Basically, I completely enjoyed myself and rejuvenated.

And when Gav was done, I got to spend time with him. Perfect. We went to Old Town Sacramento, toured a few million dollar homes (they were having open houses--so fun), and saw the Sacramento temple.


We also got together with friends from med school who are in the Radiology program at Travis AFB. We were so busy catching up that I forgot to take a picture, but it was great to see you Edmonds and Odones--start saving your pennies for that Italian cruise.

A couple of other things I'll remember about Davis--bicycles everywhere! This was the line-up outside a bicycle shop, but a similar scene could be seen by the farmer's market, near the University, outside restaurants, etc. Look closely--as far as you can see in the picture, those are bikes!


And I loved this Arboretum near one of the shopping areas--it's maintained by UC Davis. It was so peaceful to sit there and hear the sounds of the waterfalls. There were several waterfalls surrounding this tree in front, and a larger waterfall on the wall in the back. All of the plants were marked with species name, and there were flowers and vines everywhere. It was gorgeous.

So all in all, a great trip. And I couldn't have done it without my mom. Thanks for taking such good care of my kiddos, and thanks for showing me again the value of patience--I love you. 

12 comments:

Kevin and Kristen said...

Sounds like so much fun! I am aching for a trip away from San Antonio.
The memory we have of you guys is Survivor nights with Kettle corn made by Kevin. I think it was Survivor Brazil. Fun times! Another memory was at a game night at your house. We were playing Guesstures, and I was VERY pregnant with Jordan. It got interesting when I had to charade the word "jockstrap". Very cute! Another memory would be of Jordan's baby shower that you hosted.Lots of memories and fun times!

Fisher Family said...

That's what I meant to ask you about today. Your fun getaway. Sounds like you had a great time. Thanks again for being there today.

Marie said...

Wow sounds like an amazing trip. I am so glad you got some time with just you and your hubby. THat is some well deserved relaxation!! Now if i just had someone i could sucker into taking my kids:)

AJ said...

Hi Sarah - Thank you so much for re-posting your blog! It sounds like you had a fantastic time in CA with your hubby sans kids!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

cute toes. and you really fell off of a treadmill..twice?

Jennifer said...

Ok, when you take that cruise totally count Dave and I in.

Heather said...

don't you even think twice about leavin me behind on that fun trip!! hope you bought me a mask!! ;)
thanks for your comment on my blog.. it really meant a lot!
I'm actually leaving for california on wed night & the funeral is on friday.. i will be home on saturday!
lets talk soon!

The Rowletts said...

Sounds like fun! Lots of great cruises leave out of San Juan! Come down and let's go!!

Dents said...

Nice get away. I grew up about 10 minutes away from the Sac Temple. I have never been to Davis though, I'll have to check it out next time I go back.

Tami said...

Looks like fun. I definately need a break like that.

Anonymous said...

ooh la la! Whether Rome or a niehgboring town, as long as the kids are taken care of (and NOT present), I consider it a "Vacation" no matter how many seminar classes hubby has to attend!