Always smiling before we go (pic from last year)
My sweet Aubrey girl has a small princess bike. She has outgrown it, but I told her a long time ago that she couldn't get a new bike until she learned how to ride without training wheels. So her long, lanky self pumps those pedals with all her might, teetering on the blasted training wheels, and whining all the way. It just about kills me to take her out with her bike. But when the sun is shining in Washington and I'm going nutso indoors, somehow it always seems like a good idea--at first.
One day she was begging to ride her bike to school. Her school is just a few blocks away. There is a perfectly suitable bus that picks her up within eyesight of my back door; but no, she wants to ride the too-small bike. So I thought I would be zealous, pack a picnic lunch, load the boys in the double jogger stroller, and go on an adventure. I warned Aubrey about complaining and said we would turn right around and come home. She promised, PROMISED that she was going to be okay. You know where this is going.
We passed the point of no return when we saw the bus pull out on the main street--alrighty then, looks like we're riding to school today. So of course I'm running and pushing about 60 pounds of kid (Lincoln & Jace), and Aubrey starts in, "Mommy, my legs are hurting." (We can still see our house across the field.) To which I reply (breathless myself), "Yup, that's what happens when you exercise. Keep going." And more whining, "But Mommy, it's so haaaaa-aaard, can you give me a boost?" "No Aubrey, no boost. You have to keep your speed and keep pedalling." She thinks about it and keeps trudging away, then, "Mommy, I can't do it. Can't we just go home? I want to ride the bus to school." Now I'm getting angry. "NO, Aubrey. You said you could do this. The bus is already gone. You have to ride your bike to the park, eat your lunch, then go to school. Just keep moving, and quit whining!" "But my legs are reaaaaaally hurting." And on and on and on.
Of course everything I say to her is amplified because I'm running along and she is trailing me by 15 yards or so. People are probably looking out their windows wondering who is yelling at the poor, crying kid on the wee baby bike. Maybe they're getting ready to call DCFS. Oh yeah, and Jace spit up all over himself right after we left, so Lincoln keeps telling me, "Mommy, Jace did a yot of pittys on him's shirt." What have I gotten myself into? My only comfort is in the fact that I will NEVER be dumb enough to try this again.
At least the boys are content. If you look closely, you can see Jace's spit-up
So it's time for tough love. I tell her matter-of-factly that we are taking off the training wheels, learning to ride a bike, then going for a run to a new park. She cries. I go out in the garage, get the tools, remove the training wheels, and she is still crying. Oh, the DRAMA! I'm trying to tell her it will be okay, promising that I'm not going to let her fall, encouraging her that it's not that hard, etc. Still crying.
As I hoist the now-training-wheel-less bike back up on its feet (so to speak), it seems like something is jammed. It's hard to push. What's going on? I check the hand brake, and find it's . . . stuck. Are you kidding me? I look at the front tire, and I can see skid marks on the rim from where the brake has worn off because Aubrey has been forcing the tire through the brake pads, while her mean mom is yelling at her to quit whining. Yeah. No wonder her legs have been hurting.
As I hoist the now-training-wheel-less bike back up on its feet (so to speak), it seems like something is jammed. It's hard to push. What's going on? I check the hand brake, and find it's . . . stuck. Are you kidding me? I look at the front tire, and I can see skid marks on the rim from where the brake has worn off because Aubrey has been forcing the tire through the brake pads, while her mean mom is yelling at her to quit whining. Yeah. No wonder her legs have been hurting.
It's like in spin class when the instructor tells us to crank up the resistance and then yells. "Take off!!! GO! GO! GO! GO!" I know I'm in pain when that happens, and I'm sure it hasn't been much different for my little girl.
I still make her try (not because I'm a mean mom, but because I didn't yet realize the full extent of the problem), then Gavin came home and fixed it. It literally took him less than 5 seconds to adjust the brake cable. That's all--and he didn't even need tools. Who knew? We love having a super-Daddy to save the day.
I still make her try (not because I'm a mean mom, but because I didn't yet realize the full extent of the problem), then Gavin came home and fixed it. It literally took him less than 5 seconds to adjust the brake cable. That's all--and he didn't even need tools. Who knew? We love having a super-Daddy to save the day.
Hopefully soon we'll have an updated post with a picture of her new bike, proof that she has mastered the skill. In the mean time, the lesson of the day is to listen to my kids and know that maybe once in a while there is substance to the drama.
Sorry, Aubrey, for torturing you all this time on your bike stuck with the brakes on. My bad.
14 comments:
Nice to know I'm not the only one! Loved it, still laughing, poor Aubrey.
Poor Aubrey, that video makes me want to cry:( She deserves a treat or a surprise or a snack or something. Look at those tears...she looks pretty cute.
I can't even type, I'm laughing so hard. Poor Aubrey! hoooo. my side hurts.
It must run in the family. When we took the family bike in Solvang, CA at Grandma's Weiland's funeral, Zac complained he was doing all the work. He was secretly blaming the problem on Andy and me being too fat!!! Actually after probably ten minutes of struggle Zac realized he had never released the brake!! Tell Aubrey to call Uncle Zac for sympathy....
Oh you mean, MEAN mom!!!!!!! The storry is so sad. And then your video...I'm laughing so hard Sara is laughing in my lap. I prayed and prayed Sara would be a boy just because I know I can't handle anymore, as you said, "drama without substance!" I tell Emily all the time it's like being guilty by assosiation:-)
Ok hilarious. Sad, but too funny.
I can't even tell you how much I needed that. I am laughing out loud and so needed a good laugh today. I am totally with you on the tough love thing. Too bad it backfired with the brake and all. Absoluetly hilarious.
So hilarious--both the story and the telling of it.
Sarah, you really need your own newspaper column. Seriously. More people need to read your funny stories.
Poor Aubrey! Too funny. ;) Brienna was determined to ride her 2-wheeler early and she did. But I was surprised at how much easier a bigger bike is to balance.
Glad I'm not the only mean mom in the wolrd...and that I often make my six year cry. Keep up the good work!
The training wheels on Maya's bike were causing more trouble than they were worth. She was riding on a 45 degree (slight exageration) angle. We got sick of her complaining that it was too hard (with training wheels) so we got rid of them. After an afternoon or 2 of riding out front she had it. Now she wants a bigger bike - her knees are up by her shoulders as well. DARN TRAINING WHEELS!
The story and the video are priceless. I couldn't let Avery see the video cause I don't want her to be traumatized by it since bike riding is just around the corner for her. I've already decided we are skipping the whole training wheel thing. I see 5year old riding too-big bmx's trying to keep up w/ older siblings all over the place here...then again, they have year-round to practice outside.
What a cute story. It is so much work to teach children the simple things in life.
Yep, this story is still funny two days later....:)
Post a Comment